At least eight people were killed and more than 20 others were wounded on Friday when a suicide bomber blew himself up near a gathering in memory of Abul Ali Mazari in Kabul.
The blast occurred at about 11:20am in Qala Nazar area near participants of the 23rd death anniversary of Mazari. Second deputy chief executive officer Mohammad Mohaqqiq was addressing the event when the blast took place.
The event was disrupted for a few minutes before returning to normalcy. Interior Ministry second deputy spokesman Nasrat Rahimi told media, the bomber detonated explosives strapped to his body soon after he was recognized by security forces at the fourth security check point.
He said the blast took place about 300 meters from the gathering — the target of the attacker – killing seven civilians and one policeman. Another seven people were wounded.
However, Kabul police chief Daud Amin put the toll at five dead and 22 others wounded in the blast. He said all participants of the gathering remained unhurt and the anniversary was ended at 12:30pm.
No group has so far asserted responsibility for the bombing.